Wednesday 20 January 2010

Which operating system do you use ?

Hello again,

When visiting many sites recently I have been getting annoyed with something people assume.

The thing is this: When people mention software they say things like "Will work on both a PC and Mac" or they might say "Only works on a PC".

SO... what is a PC and what does PC stand for ?

I always thought it stood for Personal Computer, and indeed that is what it stands for. So what is a Mac ? It is an Apple Macintosh computer. It is a personal computer that runs software for Apple Macintosh hardware. Notice what I said there..."It is a personal computer.."

Yes an Apple Macintosh is a personal computer, I know that and I bet really you knew that if you thought about it. I know the people who state PC and Mac are saying their software will run on a Mac.

Now what about those people who run Linux. Don't they use a PC ? What if were to download a piece of software and found that the PC version only runs on the Windows operating system ? Would I get a refund if I had bought it ?

What they should be saying is that their software runs on Windows and Mac operating systems. Before I buy any software now I always email and ask the same old question, Does your software run on the Linux operating system ? I normally find that it does not and so go and look else where for what I want.

If you sell software, or even give it away, and mention more than one version, don't forget that a PC is a bit of hardware for the operating system to sit on and mainly all computers in the home are PC's they just run different operating systems. So mention the operating system not the hardware. Even some of the newer Apple computers run on Intel/AMD etc. based chips.

The Linux operating system is very good if you have different tasks to do and need something specific to do that job. I use more than one version and will in later posts say what I use for which task.

No comments:

Post a Comment